Hanging out in Navasota TX today a the Comfort Inn and Suites. Over on the east side of town on the by-pass. There's a couple travel baseball teams in the hotel, so of course I'm reminded of the fun times of travel soccer we had. Playing baseball down here in the heat ( or having to watch that ) has to be tough.
I've got next week planned out. should be getting out of TX on Tuesday and then most of the way through Louisiana by Friday. The route's a little longer though, as it winds through the back country. Got a couple hotels called and all set for rooms in "little town motels" this week. Also looks like the weather is going to lighten up some, 94-95 for the highs. Low winds and cloud cover help a lot, so as far as I'm concerned the days probably won't be as unbearable through the week. Can't believe I'm finally seeing some 10% chance of rain though, so I get to actually think that rain covers might get used. Not a single drop of rain the past 3 weeks.
For rest day... Here's some things I've learned so far:
- You can't really train for this. You can ride and train some, you can feel like you are in shape, but you can't really be physically ready.
- Planning is how you survive. Having an exact plan for the route, the liquids and the surroundings is imperative.
- Lizards can run faster than me going up hill.
- Going down mountains is so much fun. The speed, the wind in your face and the awe of what's around is awesome.
- Our country is beautiful, if you've lived out east, plan time to go west. If you've lived out west, plan some time to go east. You'll be amazed at what a difference there is in everything.
- Little dogs think they can catch me on a bike. I laugh in their face. They may scare me cause I didn't see them coming, but no match with J-dog. I ride right past them.
- There is a lot of road kill that you miss going 65 MPH in a car. It's all over.
- Most people respect bicyclists. Some don't. Do get over in an open lane or hug the yellow line.
- I can be in the most desolate area and not see a car for an hour, but somehow, there will always end up being me and 2 passing cars in the same place of the road at the same time. I don't get how that can happen.
- Ranch land is in the $12-15,000 an acre range. Sh*t, that's crazy money. There is volume pricing to be had though in some areas ( that you may not want to be ).
- Those big truck commercials during football season... they are for Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. HUGE pickup trucks out here all over the place.
- Armadillo road kill smells the worst.
- It's so rewarding to push yourself to do something that you don't know if you can do. Don't be afraid to surprise yourself with success or failure, they both make you a better person.
- All my gadgets are great. The phone ( google maps when I need them ), Garmin ( awesome tracking ), camera ( look for a metal not plastic connector to a tripod ), macbook air ( enough said).
- I can put the food down.
- Pavin's a Senior now and Creean's a Sophomore. Time goes fast, don't waste it!
- Baseball caps only have a 3 week life expectancy out here ( but I'm shooting for 6 )
- Cows always watch you go by. Horses mostly do.
- I have a great bike with really good tires.
- People are great. It doesn't really take much to help somebody out just a little, but it will probably mean a lot (and more than you think) to that person.
- Everyone I know is great. Thanks for all the support.
- Its really is cool to see the country instead of flying over it.
- There are Water and Ice machines out west along the road side in little 10 by 20 sheds. That's how people get water in some places.
- Our country figures out how to do things in the most impossible and improbable places.
- Kelly Gant is great to me and for me ( I knew that already!!)
- I'm a lucky man ( I already knew that too ).
Stats - 0 miles (1,305)
Calories - 0 ( 72,200 )
Time - 0:00 (108:03)
Total Climb - 0 ( 47,910 ft )
( I did ride a half mile to Sonic and back for lunch and supplies for Sunday )